First of all, This film is much scarier than i remember it. Since I saw it on the big screen with live audience around me it made a lot more impact on me. I flinched a couple times during it and I am not really a person that is scared easily. I am very impressed by Spielberg's camera work and, just how professor Cohen emphasized, his ability to let the viewer know what is going on in the off- screen space. In the scene at the end, when the three men are on the boat and they are attempting to catch the shark for the last time, the camera is set on the boat and is swinging in the rhythm of the waves in sync with the boat. I liked the effect it had on me, because with both the boat and the camera swinging like that, I had the feeling like I am on the boat together with our characters. This time I was on the boat and I wanted them to catch the fish. I wanted us all to catch it. And at the end when the shark finally blows up, I had the feeling like I participated in the quest and like we all together managed to save the innocent people from the shark.
I believe that with this film, Spielberg is also giving us the critique of the society. He keeps emphasizing how the people who are supposed to be taking care of the locals, are not doing their job. The mayor of the city, instead of supporting the closing of the beaches to make sure the people are safe, is in fact trying to pretend like there is no danger at all. He just wants to earn money and does not care if someone will get hurt. When they get hurt, he is again not concerned about the lives of the people, but for the tourist season to be over. Spielberg is giving us the critique how today people in general are more and more obsessed with money and are not caring for other people.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment